Tuesday, August 11, 2009

He Knows

Today I was struck with the reality of how corrupt the world we live in is. I felt the hopelessness that must be the reality of so many today. I also saw my nearly total preoccupation with my own existence and feelings and how little I care for those I do not see. It is also true that I am careful not to let myself not to see too much. There is a wonderful young lady in our church who knows what it is to have much and how it feels to have it taken from you. She knows how life can turn brutal and what it feels to be alone. She struggles with fear, anxiety, and in living her newfound faith in Christ. We share a deep desire to have a mission each day of our lives and we each feel that sense of unease when that mission is difficult to find. She is a joy and teaches me much. I want to be better after being with her. I worry that she will succumb to the struggles she lives.
These past months have been a struggle for me and I also fear that I will let the struggle have me and not live in Christ through it. It is way too easy for me to live in my feelings and to sink a little into the darkness. Most days are good but there are still too many days that are about me. I ran to my refuge today and thank God for the prayer room. It saddens me that so few are using it. I pray that when you are struggling you will find a sanctuary of prayer. Those of you who go to my church I pray that you will avail yourself of this wonderful room. It is a quiet place away from all of the distractions that so easily take us away from God. I prayed until I found that peaceful spot. I realized that this is the answer. When I struggle, when I fear, when I feel that I am useless, when I feel that there is no hope for the despair I see all around me, when I fear that my loved ones will never come to Christ, I can come and pray until I rest in the God who alone is the answer. I am in Hebrews right now and this verse is perfect. "Therefore he had "to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:17-18. He knows every feeling we feel and every temptation we go through. He "learned obedience through the things he suffered," so understands the sufferings of this life. He is here and he will answer our cries.

No comments: